There are millions of videos out there these days that tell us to do this or that or don’t do this or that or even worse don’t give us any value at all. When I saw the interview that Marie Forleo did with Simon Sinek, my response was just WOW.
My second response was that every leader across every aspect of our society as well as anyone who aspires to leadership must watch this video.
My third and final response to this video was that everyone whether you’re a leader or not needs to watch this video.
For today’s web standards it’s a bit long running for 35 minutes, but I have to tell you that at no point did I look at the clock, as usual once Simon Sinek gets you, he could talk all day and I’d happily sit there and soak up his knowledge. He puts leadership into perspective and makes sense of why we need great leaders and how they affect our lives.
I could go on all day long about this video, but some of the key points that I took from it are:
- Leaders need to create a safe environment! You can’t ask people to give you the best of their thinking and be creative and productive if they are forced to protect themselves from you. While there is a lot that is out of your control, the one thing that is in your control is the environment.
- Trust and cooperation are key to leadership, because everyone wants to feel valued and valuable
- If we work in a poorly led organisation it actually inhibits people from the compassion required to give all of themselves.
- As a leader, you are no longer responsible for the outcome, you are responsible for the people who are responsible for the outcome.
- Don’t have a headcount, have a heartcount
- You cannot lead a company, you can only lead people
- Leadership takes practice, but we are actually hardwired to care for each other. So start with the little things that make the lives of those around you better.
I am absolutely sending gratitude to Simon Sinek for sharing his knowledge and to Marie Forleo for putting it out there. This will absolutely the best spent 35 minutes. CLICK HERE to check it out!